In a surprising turn of events, Jane Frances Abodo, the Director of Public Prosecutions, has withdrawn kidnap and murder charges against Patrick Agaba, also known as Kasaija or Agaba Pato, the primary suspect in the murder of 28-year-old Susan Magara, a cashier at Bwendero Dairy Farm.
The case dates back to February 2018 when it was alleged that Agaba and a group of individuals kidnapped Susan Magara with the intent of securing a ransom. Tragically, on February 27, 2018, in Kigo, Wakiso district, Magara was brutally murdered.
The decision to withdraw the charges came before Kampala High Court Criminal Division Registrar Lawrence Tweyanze during a hearing on October 16. Initially, ten individuals were accused in the kidnap and subsequent murder of Susan Magara.
Senior State Attorney Irene Nakimbugwe presented a withdrawal letter from DPP Abodo, stating that she had lost interest in pursuing charges against Agaba. This decision is in accordance with Article 120 of the Ugandan Constitution, which empowers the DPP to institute or withdraw criminal charges without providing reasons.
Remarkably, despite his implication in the case, Agaba had never been formally arraigned and charged for the crime. He was extradited from South Africa in 2019 but faced charges related to kidnapping in a separate case. He was granted bail after spending months in Luzira prison on remand.
The case had previously stalled due to a funding shortfall within the judiciary, which has reportedly been resolved. Consequently, Registrar Tweyanze had no choice but to endorse the withdrawal of charges against Agaba. This surprising development raises questions about the future of the Susan Magara murder case and the justice system in Uganda. READ MORE
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- NationalDecember 4, 2023Uganda on the spot for sending 600 delegates
- NationalDecember 4, 2023Over 120 countries sign COP28 UAE Declaration
- International newsDecember 4, 2023US Destroyer Successfully Intercepts Drones
- Celebrity GossipDecember 1, 2023“Bajjo is not the type of man I want”-Doreen Nasasira