The National Unity Platform (NUP) party is today set to launch its head offices at Makerere Kavule amid caution from police against the same.
NUP leader, Mr. Robert Kyagulanyi, said they decided to push the ceremony to Friday (today) to shield their guests from security harassment.
Yesterday, the party was forced to postpone the launch of their party headquarters over security concerns as President Museveni had a meeting in the same area.
Meanwhile, the Ugandan Human Rights Commission chair, Mariam Wagadya, via her X (formerly Twitter) handle, has appealed for dialogue between police and NUP leaders for a better way forward regarding the launch.
“I have noted the heavy deployment by police and UPDF at the yet-to-be-launched NUP offices in Kawempe. Article 29 of the Constitution protects the right to assemble for all Ugandans. The deployment obstructed the event. Both parties should dialogue and resolve any impasse,” she wrote.
However, Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson, Mr. Patrick Onyango, maintains that the NUP leadership should first notify the Inspector General of Police.
“It has come to our attention that the party leaders have not yet officially notified the Inspector General of Police regarding their event. Therefore, there has been no coordination or harmonization with the security forces. In light of this, we recommend that the National Unity Platform initiate a dialogue and harmonize with the relevant security authorities before proceeding with their planned function,” he added.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the Constitutional Court nullified sections of the Public Order Management Act (POMA) in March 2023 that, among other things, required organizations and individuals to seek police permission before holding public assemblies.
- Link Bus driver arrested for using a phone while driving
- Mathias Mpuuga Praised for Effective Leader of Opposition
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- NationalDecember 4, 2023Uganda on the spot for sending 600 delegates
- NationalDecember 4, 2023Over 120 countries sign COP28 UAE Declaration
- International newsDecember 4, 2023US Destroyer Successfully Intercepts Drones
- Celebrity GossipDecember 1, 2023“Bajjo is not the type of man I want”-Doreen Nasasira