At least 118 people in northwest China have been killed in the country’s deadliest earthquake in 13 years. The 6.2-magnitude quake hit the mountainous Gansu province around midnight Monday (16:00 GMT), also shaking neighboring Qinghai. Fatalities may rise, with hundreds reported injured in icy conditions.
However, Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered thousands of rescue crews to the region, which is among the poorest and most diverse in China. On Tuesday, footage shown on state TV and social media networks showed entire villages split by the quake. It also showed collapsed buildings and houses.
An evacuation camp in Jishishan County for residents. Additionally, Local officials in Jishishan County, the worst hit in Gansu Province, said more than 5,000 buildings in the area had been damaged.
Related articles; Putin vows to make Russia ‘self – sufficient’ in fifth Kremlin term
Residents who fled their homes were also shown huddling over makeshift fires at hastily erected evacuation camps. Temperatures hit -13C (8.7F) on Tuesday, Chinese media reported. Survivors said the tremors had felt like “being tossed by surging waves” and recalled rushing out of their apartments.
“I woke my family up, and we rushed down all 16 floors in one breath,” said one man named Mr. Qin, according to Chinese outlets.
In conclusion, Chinese media quoted a director of the Gansu rescue team, who attributed the widescale damage to poor building quality in the villages. He said many homes are old and made of clay.
- US F-16 Fighter jet crashes in South Korea
- The day of the Dead in Mexico is a celebration of the 5 senses
- West African leaders meet as region struggles with coups
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- EntertainmentMarch 2, 2024Catherine Kusasira Flown Out Of The Country For Heart Surgery
- SportsMarch 2, 2024Darwin Nunez gives Liverpool all three points today
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024Prima Kardashi calls ‘kukyala Nakubwa’ New Song trash
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024DJ Jacob Omutuuze Reveals He Checks Daughter’s Virginity