June 17, 2024

Over 100 Killed In China Deadliest earthquake In 13 Years

1
Spread the love by sharing

At least 118 people in northwest China have been killed in the country’s deadliest earthquake in 13 years. The 6.2-magnitude quake hit the mountainous Gansu province around midnight Monday (16:00 GMT), also shaking neighboring Qinghai. Fatalities may rise, with hundreds reported injured in icy conditions.

However, Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered thousands of rescue crews to the region, which is among the poorest and most diverse in China. On Tuesday, footage shown on state TV and social media networks showed entire villages split by the quake. It also showed collapsed buildings and houses.

An evacuation camp in Jishishan County for residents. Additionally, Local officials in Jishishan County, the worst hit in Gansu Province, said more than 5,000 buildings in the area had been damaged.

Related articles; Putin vows to make Russia ‘self – sufficient’ in fifth Kremlin term

Residents who fled their homes were also shown huddling over makeshift fires at hastily erected evacuation camps. Temperatures hit -13C (8.7F) on Tuesday, Chinese media reported. Survivors said the tremors had felt like “being tossed by surging waves” and recalled rushing out of their apartments.

“I woke my family up, and we rushed down all 16 floors in one breath,” said one man named Mr. Qin, according to Chinese outlets.

In conclusion, Chinese media quoted a director of the Gansu rescue team, who attributed the widescale damage to poor building quality in the villages. He said many homes are old and made of clay.

Check also;

written by @enock katamba

Administrator
Administrator
Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)

1 thought on “Over 100 Killed In China Deadliest earthquake In 13 Years

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *