A section of Makerere University staff under the Makerere University Academic Staff Association, among other groups, has vowed to strike today over salary.
The Vice Chancellor, Professor Barnabas Nawangwe, has since urged the group to reconsider their impending strike and give the government time to address salary harmonization.
Mr. Nawangwe told uncoveredug news reporters that “I appeal to them that they postpone the strike, which was scheduled to begin on Monday, and give time to Council and Management to continue engaging government agencies concerned with this matter and parliament.”
Related articles; Makerere University student found dead in a room
However, Dr. Robert Kakuru, the association’s chairperson, says they have waited in vain for the government to align their salaries with those of staff from other public universities.
Furthermore, he says the harmonization exercise was completed last year, but that only came after the approval of the 2023–2024 budget, and that when they put the matter back to public service, the Ministry assured that the allocated funds would be incorporated in the 2024–2025 financial year budget.
In conclusion, the move by university staff comes ahead of the institution’s 74th graduation ceremony, which will start on January 29, 2024.
- Uneb hires 14,000 teachers to mark PLE, UCE exams
- UCU Elections: Two Nominated for Guild Presidency
- Minister Muyingo says Let fees defaulters also sit for exams
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- EntertainmentMarch 2, 2024Catherine Kusasira Flown Out Of The Country For Heart Surgery
- SportsMarch 2, 2024Darwin Nunez gives Liverpool all three points today
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024Prima Kardashi calls ‘kukyala Nakubwa’ New Song trash
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024DJ Jacob Omutuuze Reveals He Checks Daughter’s Virginity