The police in Hoima have arrested five security guards for allegedly shooting at the Minister of State for Lands, Dr. Sam Mayanja, in Hoima district.
The security guards attached to Pyramid Security Group have been identified as Vincent Omara, 28, Vincent Tusingwire, 26, Cleophas Kansiime, 22, Gad Mairiho, 42, and Robert Abekani, 25.
Hakiza further said in an interview on Tuesday that the guns that were used have been confiscated as exhibits and are also being kept at Hoima central police station.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police Spokesperson, says the five are detained at Hoima Central Police Station.
According to Hakiza, police have submitted the suspects’ files to the Resident State Attorney-RSA for legal advice about the charges of threatening violence by shooting that have already been filed against them.
However, it is alleged that area residents petitioned Mayanja, accusing Mugamba of trying to forcefully evict them from their ancestral land that they have lived on for decades. The contested piece of land measures approximately 810 hectares.
The families say they have occupied the contested land since the 1940s and wonder how Mugamba, who is not even a resident of the area, is claiming the land.
On Thursday last week, as the minister attempted to visit the contested land, the guards opened fire and shot several bullets in the air as the minister advanced on the land. They later fled the area.
In conclusion, the minister, who was together with Hoima Resident District Commissioner-RDC Rogers Mbabazi, Hoima District Police Commander-DPC Jackson Bogere, and other security personnel, directed security in the district to hunt for the security guards and have them arrested.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- SportsSeptember 27, 2023Morocco To Host 2025 Africa Cup Of Nations Replacing Guinea
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled