Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp confirmed on Friday that the Reds have reached an agreement with Brighton for the transfer of Moises Caicedo for a reported British record fee of £110 million ($140 million, 127 million euros).
However, Sky Sports reported that the 21-year-old Ecuadorian international is still deciding his future, with Chelsea also interested.
Additionally, Caicedo had been a long-standing target for Chelsea, but Liverpool stole a march on the Blues after Brighton set a deadline for bids on Thursday evening.
The reported fee would surpass the previous British record of £107 million that Chelsea paid for Enzo Fernandez in January. It would also represent another huge profit for Brighton, which signed Caicedo from Ecuadorian side Independiente del Valle for just £4 million in 2021.
“I got told I can confirm a deal with Brighton is agreed,” Klopp said at his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s trip to Chelsea on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
He added, “Everything changed. Do I like it? No. Did I realize I was wrong? Yes.
“I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s just the market. In the end, we as a club have to make sure that, with our resources, we get the best possible player.”.
In conclusion, Klopp has previously criticized the idea of spending £100 million on a single player but admitted he has had to change his approach due to spiraling transfer fees.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- SportsSeptember 27, 2023Morocco To Host 2025 Africa Cup Of Nations Replacing Guinea
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled