Kerwin Vargas scored his second goal in as many matches, and Charlotte FC clinched their first-ever trip to the MLS Cup Playoffs by holding on to a 1-0 victory over Lionel Messi and visiting Inter Miami on Saturday.
Vargas’ goal, coming after he scored and contributing an assist in a 2-2 draw at Miami on Wednesday night, coupled with results in other Eastern Conference matches lifted Charlotte (10-11-13, 43 points) to ninth in the East on the season’s final day.
They’ll visit the New York Red Bulls in the East play-in game on Wednesday or Thursday, with the winner facing Supporters’ Shield winners FC Cincinnati in a best-of-three first-round series.
Kristijan Kahlina made three saves to keep the clean sheet, including a couple of reaction saves deep in the second half with Miami (9-18-7, 34 points) pressuring.
Messi played 90 minutes for the first time since a 3-1 win at LAFC on Sept. 3, after a combination of an injury and international duty limited him to just 72 minutes and two appearances in Miami’s eight previous league matches.
The Herons were officially eliminated from postseason contention during that stretch, and while Messi scored 10 times while helping Miami win the 2023 League Cup, he had only one in MLS regular season play.
Vargas gave the hosts the lead in the 13th minute. It began with an attack that worked left-to-right up the field before Kamil Jozwiak tried to hit an inswinging cross back across the goal from the right flank.
- Bebe Cool blasts local promoters over disrespect of musicians
- Official burial planned for Henry Kyemba
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- NationalDecember 7, 2023Police in Tororo District have killed a 26-year-old man, Godfrey Odoi
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Victor Kamenyo advises all his Wife’s admirers to use Soap
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Geosteady discharged from hospital After a four day sickness
- Celebrity GossipDecember 7, 2023Gabie Ntaate speaks about her struggles with Anger issues