18 people, including a pregnant woman, died in southern Nigeria when an illegal oil refinery exploded into flames, a security official and residents said on Tuesday.
The blaze, which occurred late on Sunday in Rivers State, occurred when a home-made refinery ignited a nearby oil reservoir, leaving victims severely burned, a security official said.
“The fire outbreak started at a very late hour… 18 victims were burned beyond recognition while 25 injured persons were rescued,” Olufemi Ayodele, spokesman for the local Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, said.
“Most of the victims were youths. A pregnant woman and a young lady getting ready for her marriage ceremony next month were all casualties,” he said.
However, oil theft is a major problem in Nigeria, an OPEC member and one of the continent’s largest petroleum producers.
18 people, including a pregnant woman, died in southern Nigeria when an illegal oil refinery exploded into flames.
Accidents and spills are common in the makeshift refineries hidden in swamps in the Niger Delta, where smugglers tap into pipelines to steal crude and refine it into fuel for sale.
In conclusion, local residents in Emohua district said the toll could be higher as dozens of people were at the site scooping up spilled crude oil.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- NationalDecember 7, 2023Police in Tororo District have killed a 26-year-old man, Godfrey Odoi
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Victor Kamenyo advises all his Wife’s admirers to use Soap
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Geosteady discharged from hospital After a four day sickness
- Celebrity GossipDecember 7, 2023Gabie Ntaate speaks about her struggles with Anger issues