Roberto Mancini has resigned as head coach of Italy, the country’s football federation (FIGC) said on Sunday.
“A significant page in the history of the Azzurri, which began in May 2018 and ended with the 2023 Nations League Finals, comes to an end,” the FIGC said in a statement.
Additionally, Mancini took charge of the team in 2018 after they failed to qualify for the World Cup, having previously not missed a World Cup final since 1958. He guided them to glory at the European Championship in 2021, but the team once again failed to qualify for last year’s World Cup in Qatar. In June, Italy claimed third place at the Nations League finals under Mancini.
“Taking into account the important and upcoming commitments for the Uefa Euro 2024 qualifiers, the FIGC will announce the name of the new national coach in the next few days.”
However, After last year’s failed World Cup qualifying campaign, Mancini came under intense pressure in the Italian media to resign but received backing from the nation’s federation president to continue in the role.
Only nine days ago, the federation announced that Mancini was being given the added responsibility of overseeing the under-20 and under-21 teams, too. He was under contract through the 2026 World Cup.
“It’s a bit surprising. Nobody expected it,” Renzo Ulivieri, the president of Italy’s coaches association, told the La Presse news agency. “Nothing can be said until the reasons behind the resignation are known. It’s useless to say anything without knowing that.
In conclusion, “I’m sorry that he’s left. He did a good job despite those last things,” Ulivieri added, referring to the failed World Cup qualification.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- SportsSeptember 27, 2023Morocco To Host 2025 Africa Cup Of Nations Replacing Guinea
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled