Police have suspended the National Unity Platform’s (NUP) countrywide mobilization activities with immediate effect due to an alleged violation of agreed guidelines.
The NUP party is led by Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, who started the campaign on 28th August 2023
According to a statement issued by Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Katsigazi Tumusiime, the Deputy Inspector General of Police, they have observed breaches of set guidelines in areas where the party held its activities.
“While we completely support the right of individuals, groups, and other citizens to peacefully gather or assemble and express their views on matters of public policy, we have noticed that, in all areas where the NUP mobilization activities have been carried out, there have been total breaches of the guidelines, thus causing public disorder. unnecessary traffic jams, loss of business, and malicious damage to property,” the statement reads in part.
“For instance, in Mbarara City, their rowdy supporters vandalized a Toyota Hiace under reg. no. UBD 251J and caused traffic accidents, including a fatal one in Hoima City on September 11, 2023, where one, Mugisa Norman, died and 10 others got serious injuries during the NUP convoy,” the statement reads further.
Furthermore, police say NUP’s mobilization activity in Luweero was used to incite violence, promote sectarianism, and make illegitimate calls for the removal of an elected government. and the issuance of defamatory statements against the president.
In conclusion, Katsigazi says the activities will be allowed to resume when the Kamwokya-based political party is ready to comply with the set guidelines.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 24, 2024‘It’s My Time To Shine’ – Spyda MC
- NationalFebruary 24, 2024Mourners gather to pay their last respect to the late Eliot Kabangira
- SportsFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool’s Salah, Nunez in contention for League Cup final
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 23, 2024TikToker Ibrahim Musana remanded to Luzira over abusing Kabaka