Today, the MPs of the government of Uganda are going to discuss about the local Council elections for the next term.
The plenary is set to resume today, a week after it was adjourned Sine Die by Speaker of Parliament Anita Among, demanding that the government provide a definitive position on the Local Council I and II elections since the tenure expired on July 10th.
Last week, Speaker Among adjourned the House, just about an hour after she had commenced proceedings. Prior to this, she had repeatedly asked the government side to prepare and table specific decisions that would inform the government’s next decision on the matter.
The resumption of plenary is communicated through the Parliament’s Directorate of Communication and Public Affairs, which runs the House’s official Twitter handle, before the order paper is issued.
In an interview with uncoveredug news, the vice chairperson of the Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee that interfaced with Mr. Kiryowa on the matter, Mr. Yusuf Mutembuli, revealed that they welcomed the government decision.
On Tuesday, the Attorney General, Mr. Kiryowa Kiwanuka, appeared before the Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee, in which he reported the cabinet’s decision on the matter, stating that it had been decided that the LC I and II polls be delayed for another six months. Mr. Kiryowa also indicated that cabinet had decided to extend the tenure of the administration in the said positions since organizing for the same polls would require a minimum of three months, and nearly one month has already been spent.
In conclusion, Mr. Kiryowa also said the details would be contained in Statutory Instrument No. 63 of 2003, the Local Government (Amendment of the Third Schedule Instrument), that will be tabled by the Minister of Local Government.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- Celebrity GossipMarch 5, 2024Pastor Jengo Accused Of Selling Late Pastor Yiga’s Property
- International newsMarch 5, 2024Diplomatic Initiatives Intensify To Broker Israel & Hamas Ceasefire
- EntertainmentMarch 2, 2024Catherine Kusasira Flown Out Of The Country For Heart Surgery
- SportsMarch 2, 2024Darwin Nunez gives Liverpool all three points today