Police in Lira City have arrested an 18-year-old mother accused of burying her baby shortly after delivery.
On Monday, 48-year-old Moses Opio, a resident of Abedpiny cell in Lira City East Division, reported to the local authorities that Mirriam Angom, an 18-year-old resident of Bar-Kea village in Ogor Sub County in Otuke district, gave birth to a baby girl and buried her alive in a shallow pit in Lira City.
Preliminary investigations indicate the mother had recently relocated from Kirombe Cell in Lira City, where she had been living in a rental house, to Abedpiny Cell in Lira City.
This prompted the local leaders and community members to conduct a rescue search for the baby, who was delivered in the wee hours of Monday morning.
However, The North Kyoga Regional Police spokesperson, SP Patrick Jimmy Okema, confirmed the incident.
SP Okema told our news reporters that “The motive behind her relocation was to prepare for the transportation of her firstborn, a 3-year-old child, to their home village. However, it was discovered that she was also pregnant upon moving to her sister’s home.
The suspect is currently being held at Lira Central Police Station pending further investigations, while the rescued baby was rushed to Lira Regional Referral Hospital, where she is currently receiving medical treatment.
The suspect is said to have experienced labor pains and left the house, moving about forty meters away.
“It was there that she gave birth to a baby girl at around 4:00 am, on the bare ground. Immediately after the birth, she took a hoe, dug a shallow pit less than 1.5 meters deep, and buried her newborn baby alive,” police said.
Okema said police detectives visited the scene shortly after the community members had already rescued the baby.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 24, 2024‘It’s My Time To Shine’ – Spyda MC
- NationalFebruary 24, 2024Mourners gather to pay their last respect to the late Eliot Kabangira
- SportsFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool’s Salah, Nunez in contention for League Cup final
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 23, 2024TikToker Ibrahim Musana remanded to Luzira over abusing Kabaka