The Buganda Kingdom confirmed the passing of former minister and esteemed activist, Owek Joyce Rovincer Mpanga, at the age of 89.
Makerere University also expressed condolences via X (formerly Twitter), mourning the loss of the educationist, politician, and women’s rights crusader whose impact spanned six decades.
“Joyce Mpanga was one of Makerere’s illustrious female alumni. She was a woman of many firsts, including being the first female lecturer in the faculty of education at Makerere University and Gayaza High School’s first African deputy headmistress. May the joy and grace of the Almighty God truly be the strength of her family and friends in this time of loss,” reads Makerere University’s post on X.
Related articles; Joan Kagezi killers finally arrested, says Museveni
Remember Mpanga served as the Minister of Women in Development in the Buganda Lukiiko from 1988 to 1989 and later as the Minister of State for Primary Education in the central government from 1989 to 1992. Outside of the Ugandan cabinet, she held the position of Member of Parliament for Mubende District from 1996 to 2001.
Speaker of Parliament, Anita Among, eulogized Mpanga as “a trailblazer, a champion of the cause of women, an inspiration, and a leader who set the bar so high in our country!”.
- Link Bus driver arrested for using a phone while driving
- Mathias Mpuuga Praised for Effective Leader of Opposition
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- NationalDecember 7, 2023Police in Tororo District have killed a 26-year-old man, Godfrey Odoi
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Victor Kamenyo advises all his Wife’s admirers to use Soap
- EntertainmentDecember 7, 2023Geosteady discharged from hospital After a four day sickness
- Celebrity GossipDecember 7, 2023Gabie Ntaate speaks about her struggles with Anger issues