Brazilian defender Dani Alves will be tried on sexual assault charges in Spain, the high court of Catalonia told uncovered news reporters on Monday.
The 40-year-old Brazilian has been held in custody without bail because the court investigating him felt there was a risk he would try to flee. The court said a date for the trial had not yet been set.
The former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain star was detained in January after being accused of raping a young woman in the bathroom of a nightclub in late December.
When the story first broke and before he was arrested, Alves initially denied knowing the woman.
But when questioned by investigators after his arrest, he changed his story, insisting that they had had consensual relations.
Additionally, Alves, who could face up to 12 years in jail if found guilty, defended his innocence in an interview published in June, saying he has a “clear conscience”.
“I have a really clear conscience regarding what happened that night in the bathroom of the VIP area of the Sutton nightclub,” he told the daily newspaper La Vanguardia in his first interview since his arrest.
“What happened and what didn’t happen And what didn’t happen is that I forced this woman to do anything that we did,” he added.
In the June article, he told La Vanguardia that he had lied at first because he was afraid his wife would leave him if he admitted he had been with another woman.
In conclusion, At the time of the incident, Alves was on holiday in Barcelona after playing for Brazil at the World Cup in Qatar. However, after his arrest, Alves, who is being held in the Brians penitentiary complex outside Barcelona, was sacked by his Mexican club, Pumas UNAM.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 24, 2024‘It’s My Time To Shine’ – Spyda MC
- NationalFebruary 24, 2024Mourners gather to pay their last respect to the late Eliot Kabangira
- SportsFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool’s Salah, Nunez in contention for League Cup final
- Celebrity GossipFebruary 23, 2024TikToker Ibrahim Musana remanded to Luzira over abusing Kabaka