Cristiano Ronaldo is missing from the shortlist for the first time in two decades for the 2023 Ballon d’Or award.
The Portuguese star did not make the cut for the first time since 2003, ending his 18-year streak of consecutive nominations for the award.
This year’s Ballon d’Or nominees shortlist was revealed on Wednesday evening in France Football magazine, and one of the most important names in the history of football was missing.
However, sixty players made the list for the men’s and women’s categories, with 30 nominees each.
Among the men shortlisted are Lionel Messi, who is leading the chart, and Erling Haaland, currently in second place.
Others include Mohammed Salah, Harry Kane, Kim Min-jae, Kylian Mbappe, Nigeria’s Victor Osimhen,etc.
Ronaldo started making waves at Manchester United in 2003, and he has been a constant name on the nomination list for football’s most prestigious individual award.
However, his start to the new season has been underwhelming despite helping Al Nassr to their first win last season.
Due to his dramatic move to Saudi Arabia after a controversial exit from Manchester United due to his clash with club manager Erik ten Hag,
And his failure to make an impact at an international level with Portugal at the 2022 FIFA World Cup also contributed to Ronaldo missing out on this year’s nomination for the first time in two decades.
In conclusion, he is currently training alongside his country’s teammates, Bruno Fernandez, Ruben Dias, and Bernardo Silva, ahead of their Euro 2024 qualifiers against Slovakia and Luxembourg.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled
- Celebrity GossipSeptember 25, 2023Singer Rickman injured after bar fight