The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has arrested Yinghe Chen, a 43-year-old Chinese man accused of defrauding Ugandans of Shs4.5 billion through a fraudulent betting scheme operated by BLQ Sports SMC.
The 43-year-old Chinese national was residing in Bukoto, Nakawa Division.
In addition, Deputy Police Spokesperson Polly Namaye told us that “Chen’s arrest follows a thorough interagency investigation conducted by the National Cyber Task Force into the activities of BLQ Sports SMC”.
“With this arrest, the total number of individuals apprehended in connection with the scam has risen to five. On May 11, 2023, Awori Mary, Chen’s wife and registered Director of the betting company, was taken into custody. Subsequently, on June 12, the police arrested Akoth Justine Oboth, Achola Mary, and Biira Shamim, all of whom were produced in court. These arrests shed light on the alleged conspiracy orchestrated under the unregistered betting company, BLQ Sports SMC, which defrauded approximately 6,000 Ugandans,” She added.
Operating under the slogan “You lose, You win,” BLQ Sports SMC attracted numerous individuals to its online betting platform.
However, investigations revealed that the company was involved in fraudulent activities, resulting in substantial financial losses for its victims.
Namaye emphasized that the Directorate of CID is collaborating closely with the Director of Public Prosecutions to ensure the swift presentation of Yinghe Chen in court.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- SportsSeptember 27, 2023Morocco To Host 2025 Africa Cup Of Nations Replacing Guinea
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled