The Bank of Uganda has cautioned Ugandans against defacing the national currency by using bank notes as gifts.
But the central bank warned on Wednesday that such practices constitute mutilation and defacing and compromise the integrity of the Uganda Shilling currency, which is illegal.
It became even more prominent in the lead-up to this year’s national examinations as parents and guardians gifted these bouquets to their candidate children to wish them success.
Related articles; Police warns public about hiring underage maids in their homes
“Florists, designers, gifting stylists, and their clients are particularly cautioned to avoid using currency banknotes and coins in making bouquets or any like creations,” said Kenneth Egesa, the bank’s spokesperson.
“This practice destroys the utility of banknotes, making them unusable in cash processing and distribution equipment such as cash counting machines and ATMs, which are critical parts of cash distribution systems. It also results in the premature withdrawal from circulation and replacement of banknotes at an avoidable cost to the public.”
However, the Minister for Higher Education, Hon. John Chrysestom Muyingo, warned that this might demoralize other learners whose parents cannot afford such gifts.
In conclusion, the Central Bank said in its statement yesterday that although it is not against using cash as a gift, this exchange should conform to the normal use of currency to facilitate payment transactions.
- DP opposes Bill giving govt oil import monopoly
- Joyce Mpanga, former Minister of Buganda dies at age of 89
- Link Bus driver arrested for using a phone while driving
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- EntertainmentMarch 2, 2024Catherine Kusasira Flown Out Of The Country For Heart Surgery
- SportsMarch 2, 2024Darwin Nunez gives Liverpool all three points today
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024Prima Kardashi calls ‘kukyala Nakubwa’ New Song trash
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024DJ Jacob Omutuuze Reveals He Checks Daughter’s Virginity