Five justices of the Constitutional Court have been appointed to hear a consolidated petition challenging the Anti-Homosexuality Act 2023.
The appointed justices are Deputy Chief Justice Richard Buteera, Justice Geoffrey Kiryabwire, Justice Muzamiru Kibeedi, Justice Monica Mugenyi, and Justice Christopher Gashirabake.
However, the hearing date has been set for December 18th, 2023, following a final preparation session held yesterday between the petitioners (including West Budama MP Fox Odoi, Uganda’s Ambassador to South Africa Kintu Nyango, veteran journalist Andrew Mwenda, Makerere University Law Professors Sylvia Tamale and Businye Kabumba, and several civil society organizations), their representatives, and the Attorney General.
The petitioners seek, among other orders, to strike down the law criminalizing “consensual sex among adults.” They argue that the law violates several constitutional articles guaranteeing personal freedoms and dignity and hinders the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Additionally, UNAIDS seeks to be joined as a friend of the court to provide relevant information demonstrating why the law should be overturned due to its detrimental impact on HIV/AIDS prevention efforts.
Apparently, Bishop James Lubega Bbale, on the other hand, is requesting to be joined as a necessary party to challenge the Anti-Homosexuality Act for discriminating against “God’s people.”.
In conclusion, on Wednesday, December 13, 2023, the court will hear an application filed by Pastor Martin Ssempa, who is seeking to join the Attorney General in defending the anti-homosexuality law.
- Police warns public about hiring underage maids in their homes
- Bank of Uganda bans banknote gifts
- Human Rights boss decries congestion in prisons
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2019 at Kyambogo University after graduation . Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- EntertainmentMarch 2, 2024Catherine Kusasira Flown Out Of The Country For Heart Surgery
- SportsMarch 2, 2024Darwin Nunez gives Liverpool all three points today
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024Prima Kardashi calls ‘kukyala Nakubwa’ New Song trash
- Celebrity GossipMarch 2, 2024DJ Jacob Omutuuze Reveals He Checks Daughter’s Virginity