A businessman who allegedly defrauded a Kenyan investor of Shs 1.3 billion has been remanded until September 12.
Elijah Martin Rusoke, aka Albert Kamugisha, was yesterday arraigned before City Hall Court and charged with two counts of obtaining money by false pretense and conspiracy to commit a felony.
He is jointly charged with Issa Muwonge, who did not appear before grade one magistrate Edgar Kakaire. The prosecution alleges that the two committed the offense between July and August 2022 at Musangala and Co Advocates in Kampala when they obtained $361,151.79 (about Shs 1.3 billion) from James Mirimi, an investor from Kenya, by falsely pretending that their company, Sagoo Electrical Uganda Limited, had been awarded a contract by the NRM contracts committee to supply generators in various hospitals that were allegedly under construction in the country, whereas they were not.
According to the evidence before court, the accused held several meetings at Parliament and the Sheraton hotel, where they signed the purported contract worth $18 million (about Shs 65 billion).
However, the Kenyans deposited $361,151,79 onto the account of Musangala Advocates and Solicitors. They were supposed to pay the 70 percent on September 21, 2022, but went into hiding until the arrest of some of the suspects, including Rusoke and Muwonge. Muwonge was charged and released on bail about a year ago.
It is alleged that he told the Kenyans to pay 2 percent there, after which they would be paid 70 percent of the total contract sum.
In conclusion, Rusoke denied the charges and was remanded as investigations continue. He was arrested by the State House Anti-Corruption Unit, working together with police.
written by @enock katamba
- Mr. katamba Enock: Professional designer with experience in web designing who started this activity in 2016 at Kyambogo University. Contact me on : (+256-758287080)
- SportsSeptember 27, 2023Morocco To Host 2025 Africa Cup Of Nations Replacing Guinea
- HealthSeptember 26, 2023Police officer among 7 arrested over sale of government drugs
- SportsSeptember 25, 2023Arrest warrant issued for Chargers CB JC Jackson
- EntertainmentSeptember 25, 2023Muslims want Nyege Nyege festival cancelled